Saturday, November 3, 2012

Love Songs; Part 2

So, if you haven't already checked out part one, go ahead and scroll down (or click this link).

I think most Christians would agree that it is bad to worship anything other than God...  And I may (or may not have) convinced you that when we sing love songs to our bf/gf, we are worshiping them rather than the one who truly deserves our worship.

However, here is why I don't think it is 100% wrong to have love songs about being devoted to another person:

I know very little about marriage, and despite being a Christian for a long time, I know even less about God.  How great is God; beyond our understanding.

But.  Having said that: I will readily admit that my marriage has helped me understand God better.  And knowing God has helped me to understand what it means to be married.

When I see the way my husband loves & cares for me, I can't help but see a little more clearly how God loves & cares for the church.  Just as God is loving, patient, and kind to His people, so my husband is with me.  And just as Christ sacrificed for His church, so my husband works and is diligent and sacrifices for me.

And I hope and pray that just as I yearn to be faithful and honoring to God- that I would also always yearn to be faithful and honor my husband.

Comparing marriage to our relationship with God isn't something I invented.  God Himself uses this example!  We see all over Scripture that Christ is our Bridegroom, and the church His Bride.  We see a God who turns into a jealous husband when His wife betrays Him.  We see a beautiful marriage celebration between us & Jesus Christ.  Heck, the book Song of Solomon is a beautiful love story between and man & his wife- meant, in part, to reflect our relationship with God!

So.  It really shouldn't be too surprising when secular love songs sound like worship music.  And I don't think it's wrong, in the right context, to have a secular song that expresses head-over-heels adoration for another person.

(here is where I would like to mention that I don't include profane or degrading songs that are on the radio...  I don't believe those honor God, or the marriage relationship).

If a worship song sounds kind of like a love song on the radio- so what?  I am the bride of Christ; my Maker is my husband.  And it is totally appropriate to sing a sappy love ballad to God.  It is no less reverent than an old hymn; it is just different.      

Beautiful One
You open my eyes to Your wonders anew
You captured my heart with this love,
because nothing on earth is as beautiful as You.

Beautiful One, I love.
Beautiful One, I adore.

Beautiful One, my soul must sing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment