Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wild Rice Casserole

Last Saturday my husband was on duty, which meant he was stuck on the boat for dinner.  Rather than spend the evening apart, I went and joined him on the Montpelier for a couple of hours!  It was my first time spending a significant amount of time on board.

I found a delicious looking wild rice casserole that I was waiting to try.  Brian's mom makes the best wild rice soup, and this looked like it would have some similar flavors.  Bringing my husband dinner at work for the first time seemed like a good time to test this recipe!

I found it via Pintrest, by picky-palate.com; you can view the original recipe here :-)

You need:
-3ish carrots- diced
-3ish stalks celery- diced
-some chopped onion... I used less than the original recipe calls for... maybe about a quarter cup?
-3 cloves minced garlic
-2 or 3 chicken breasts ... cooked & shredded.  This would maybe also be good with thighs.   
-cooked wild rice (I used a combo of wild rice & brown rice)
-couple tablespoons olive oil
-2 cups of cheddar cheese
-2 cups chicken broth
-half a stick of butter (4 tablespoons)
-1/4 cup flour

1.  Cook your chicken & rice...  I poached my chicken in some broth, butter, parsley & cracked black pepper.  

2.  Heat the oil in a skillet, and add celery, onion & carrots...  Cook for about 10 minutes.  Stirring pretty constantly, until tender.  I like mine a little more crisp, so you might want to cook yours a little longer if you like mushy. 


3.  Add the garlic, and stir another minute or so.

4.  Take off heat, and add chicken & rice.

5.  In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour and WHISK WHISK WHISK!!  Once you've got your roux on, add salt & pepper.  Then start slowly whisking in your broth.  Whisk the whole time.  I am not kidding.  



6.  Keep whisking, and let your sauce thicken & reduce slightly.  Then add most of your cheese.  Keep up the whisking.  Your arm is pretty tired now, huh??

7.  Add your sauce to the chicken/rice/veggie mix.  It is gonna look AWESOME!


8.  I am sure you could eat this as is.  But do you want to make it even better??  Spread this into a 9x13 baking dish, and sprinkle it with the rest of your cheese.  Bake it in a pre-heated, 350 degree oven, for 25 to 30 minutes.  Or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.


9.  EAT!! ...  This was really tasty!  It made A LOT, but the leftovers are great too!!  Though, for just Brian & I, I think I am going to try to cut this recipe in half...  Or.  Does anyone know if something like this would freeze well??  

No comments:

Post a Comment