Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Love Songs; Part 1

Over the years, I have occasionally encountered an attitude about Christian music, and I thought I would take some time to share my perspective:

I don't like modern worship music; it sounds too much like the secular stuff they play on the radio.

If you took out God's name from that song, and replaced it with Dave (or whatever name) it would sound just like all the other non-Christian love songs out there.

Christian music nowadays has lost its reverence; it isn't "holy." 

I believe those statements are more a reflection of secular attitudes, than it is a criticism of Christian music.


Let's look at the Christian worship song, "One Thing Remains," by Jesus Culture (which I heart):

Higher than the mountains that I face.
Stronger than the power of the grave.
Constant through the trial & the change.
One thing remains.
You love never fails
it never gives up
it never runs out on me.

Could we flip this song and make it about a guy or girl?  Sure?  We think the love we have for our bf/gf is insurmountable.  Nothing & no one could ever stop it.  My boyfriend's love will never fail me, or give up on me, or run out.  Our love is powerful, even death is no competition for our love...  It's kinda Romeo & Juliet.

Just because we could turn this song into a secular one, doesn't make it less of a worship song.  It just means that sometimes our priorities are a complete mess.

Romeo & Juliet worshiped each other, rather than worshiping God.


Secular songs might be pretty similar to contemporary worship songs.  Not because worship songs lack reverence   But because people singing secular love songs are worshiping their boyfriend/girlfriend.  The love, devotion, and admiration they ought to have for their Creator, is being placed onto the created.

We were designed to worship.  Lets take a look at Colossians 1, and allow me to paraphrase 16-18:

All things were created BY God FOR God, so that in everything HE WOULD BE THE CENTER.

You were created by God, for God, so that He could be your ultimate.  He would be the center of your life. He would be the object of your worship.

But we miss the mark.  So very often.  We worship things that aren't worthy of our devotion-
... money
... power
... pleasure
... status

... we worship other people.

And this is so apparent in secular music.


If you took a secular song, and replaced a guys/girls name with God, you might actually end up with a decent worship tune.


Let's look at the new Justin Bieber song; "As Long as You Love Me" (which, by the way, I also heart):

As long as you love me-
we could be starving,
we could be homeless,
we could be broke.
As long as you love me-
I'll be your platinum
I'll be your silver
I'll be your gold.

So.  Apparently, the Biebs really loves this girl.  It doesn't matter their circumstances, their love is enough.  Now.  Lets tweak it a little-

As long as God loves me-
I could be starving,
I could be homeless,
I could be broke.
As long as God loves me-
He'll be my platinum
He'll be my silver
He'll be my gold.  

I had to change the perspective on the last part.  Because God does not need us to provide for Him...  But I think the message is still clear.  It doesn't matter what my circumstances are- God is enough; He will provide for me.  Hello Matthew 6!!

So.  I think people have it backwards when they say Christian music sounds too much like secular.  I believe the attitude of secular music is too much like worship songs.



Part 2 coming soon; where I maybe revise my opinion just a little ;-)

   

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I turn secular songs into worship songs in my head...God always soothes.

    ReplyDelete