Friday, November 30, 2012

All Over the Place: Episode II

This is part two of my recent adventures; click if you missed part one.

Wednesday: So, after I got my mom to the airport I was off for Georgia.  It is a slightly shorter drive to Kings Bay from VA Beach, than it is to VA Beach from Rochester.  So the distance wasn't too bad, and it was a lot of new road for me :-) ...  I was also happy to see the temperature gradually climb the further south I got!!

I drove straight to the Naval Base, and was reunited with my husband shortly thereafter.  There are few feelings better than seeing your beloved after being apart for 2 weeks.

Thursday was Thanksgiving.  After a crazy full couple of days at the start of the week, it was nice to just relax with Brian.  We watched Macy's parade, and looked for our friend Melissa who was tethered to Papa Smurf- we didn't see her, but we did see her balloon!

For dinner we went to a restaurant on the river in Jacksonville- the Chart House.  It was very nice, and we had our first experience with valet parking!  They had a pretty diverse menu, but Brian and I both opted for their traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  We had turkey, corn bread stuffing, roasted brussel sprouts (dad you will be glad to hear that), I had mashed potatoes and Brian had a baked sweet potato.  And we shared pieces of pumpkin & peacan pie for dessert!  ...  Everything was delicious; we were only sad to not have leftovers!

(Incidentally, we are thinking of cooking our own turkey dinner sometime soon!)

One of the best parts of the weekend was that Brian had Thursday, Friday & Saturday off!  After a restful day Thursday, we were ready for some adventures!!

We drove to Orlando on Friday (I had never been!)...  We've talked about going to Disney sometimes, but we want to wait until we have more time to spend there.  So, Brian suggested Sea World!!  It was so much fun!  I was very excited to see Shamu, but as it turned out we both enjoyed the Dolphin Show much more!

I am also an amusement park rides kind of girl.  Point me at a thrill ride, and I'm game.  Sea World has 2 roller coasters; the Manta & the Kraken...  The Kraken was good.  But the Manta?  I am not a fan.  For the first time I walked away from a ride and said "I am not doing that again!" ...  You start out sitting down, but before the car leaves the house, you tilt forward.  So you are face down for the whole ride.  I spent the entire time thinking "what if my shoulder harness gives out!?  I am going to plummet to my death."

Other than the most-scary roller coaster ever, it was a great day!  Great weather, the park wasn't too crowded, and I got to hold my bf's hand all day!!

Saturday we drove east to go to Kennedy Space Center.  Brian wondered if maybe I would not be as interested in this attraction as he was, but we both really enjoyed our time there!  I am maybe not as into the mechanics of space travel as my husband, but I think the history is really neat!

Some great things about/at KSC:
1.  Members of the active military get free admission, and their dependents get a reduced price!
2.  It is a HUGE facility, but they take you around to some of the places by bus.
3.  It is not only a museum, but it is also a working Space Center- which is awesome!!
4.  There are a lot of hands-on activities- we got to touch a moon rock!!!

We drove back to Georgia on Saturday night, and Brian was back to work on Sunday.  And a couple days later, I was driving back to Virginia.  Soon I'll write an update on life here :-)

Want to see pictures from our adventures?  Check out my facebook album (this includes older pictures you may have already seen if you've read this blog before).

Love to all!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment