Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bread Disasters

On several occasions I have tried to make my own bread.  And on several occasions I have failed.

I do fine with cake-y breads, like banana or zucchini; it's yeast breads that I have trouble with.  When my family first got a Kitchen Aid stand mixer I was excited about bread baking; it came with a kneading hook!!!  So I set out to make my first loaf...  All seemed to go according to plan.  Until I went to eat it.  It was dense as a brick.  Sigh.

A short time later I decided to try again.  Same results.  I am pretty sure the Egyptians could have made their pyramids out of the loaves I baked.  

After that, I gave up.  Bread frustrates me.  I am usually a pretty successful baker- I am a great tart maker!  Seriously, I make a mean tart.  Muffins?  No sweat.  Brownies?  No problem...  The exceptions to this are chocolate chip cookies (which is another story) and bread.    

Tonight we are having soup, and what goes better with soup than a nice crusty piece of bread??  I maintain, nothing.  So I decided it was time to try my hand at bread baking again.  I think I was hopeful that when I became a wife, I would magically be able to do all the domestic things that had previously eluded me.

I even found a recipe that claimed to be fool-proof.  You didn't even need to knead it; you just mixed it up and let the dough rise for 12 hours.  So I mixed it yesterday, and baked it this morning.  

It looks pretty.  But I didn't trust it.  So before I served it to my husband, I decided I better check it.  

Sigh.  It is not a success.  It has a nice crisp crust, but the inside?  Not light and fluffy.  Dense & chewy.  

I think the thing that really bothers me is: I followed the directions!!  Every time I've made bread, I've done exactly what the recipe says I should do.  And I get lame results.  

I just think if you follow the rules, you should get what you're promised.  That is how life should work...  And when bread doesn't bake like it is supposed to, it reminds me that this world doesn't always work the way it should...  So, poorly-made bread turns into this metaphysical dilemma in my universe.    

So.  Tonight my husband and I are going to eat chewy bread.  And next time I will buy a loaf.  

Unless anyone has any tips for me???    

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried a no-knead recipe, so I would be useless with trying to troubleshoot your problems with it. However, here is an awesome website/blog that gives a ton of great recipes with extremely helpful step-by-step instructions and step-by-step photos (I find the photos to be the most helpful).

    http://www.breadexperience.com/index.html

    Good luck and don't give up! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread is hard. Your dad makes a good loaf of bread, but I never could. I know weather plays a part, as does the age of the yeast. Maybe you should buy one of those bread-baking machines? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eric! Maybe I won't throw the towel in yet :-)

    And Mom, I can't get a bread maker, we have no more room in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried bread, I vote for the bread maker! Maybe you can put it in that closet you wanted to put your left over box when unpacking. heehee Frozen bread dough from the store? Have you tried all fresh new ingredients, yeast, baking powder, soda etc? I have learned when things are old or have been exposed to different temperatures it plays a huge role in your results. Have you tried a different pan? Now you have inspired me to give it a try. I admire you determination! Keep trying it will come out great one of these times.

    ReplyDelete