Tuesday, April 9, 2013

We Didn't Start the Fire.

1.  When I was a Junior in High School, we got a jukebox for our cafeteria   I have no idea where it came from; one day it was just there.  All the songs on it were older, and I didn't know most of them.  I think my most of my classmates were in the same boat...  I remember that every day, someone would play (what I remember to be) the most famous song it had:  Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire.  Occasionally, it would get played multiple times; I remember once someone got really mad because THAT SONG IS ON AGAIN!?

2.  Since I mostly heard that song in a noisy cafeteria, I only knew the chorus.

We didn't start the fire.
It was always burning,
since the world's been turning.

And when I was in college, I decided that I should learn all the words to it.  It became a pointless goal of my sophomore year.

And.  I spent a bunch of time (that would maybe have been better spent studying) learning all the words.

SUCCESS!!!

At one point in my life, I could have sung the whole thing for you.

3.  When I think of We Didn't Start the Fire, now I always think of the Office.

RYAN STARTED THE FIRE!!!!!!!

4.  You would think that this is my favorite song, but it is not.

5.  Before I drove back to VA from NY yesterday, I added some music to my player.  And it had been well over a year since I'd heard this song, and decided I should put it on there.  I listened to it 3 times yesterday, and found that I only remembered 85% of the lyrics.  Which is still a lot.  But.

Part of me wants to relearn the ones I have forgotten.  But, I just can't imagine devoting any more time to this song.

6.  I wish there were catchy songs to learn Bible verses.  Because, frankly, knowing We Didn't Start the Fire isn't a great skill.  But Bible verses would be a good use of memorization.

7.  The End.

2 comments:

  1. But what is endoplasmic reticlum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock and Roller Cola wars, I can't take it anymore!

    ReplyDelete