Monday, May 20, 2013

5K and Other Updates.

So, it's been awhile since I've posted.  Life has just been carrying on and things are going well.  I thought I would take a little bit of time to update anyone who is interested on how the Virginia Beach Dahls are doing :-)

My husband continues to be hard at work on the USS Montpelier.  His boat is still in dry dock in Newport News.  It looks like it will be there sometime undergoing repairs...  Everyone asks what Brian does at work all day when the boat isn't out at sea or preparing for a mission.  Honestly?  His job isn't all that much different?  He still has several divisions to run, and needs to stand watch in the engine room or on the deck.  At sea or in dry dock, subs still need a full crew :-)

Molly has been with us for over a few months now.  She brings such joy... and such trouble... into our lives- as only a 5 month old puppy can!!  I spend half the day keeping her out of things, but I am so thankful that we have her.  She is a very smart puppy, and is learning a lot!  She is in the middle of teething, and eats about 10 ice cubes a day.   

A couple weeks ago, Brian took a few days off so we could go to Ohio to see his sister Amy graduate.  It was AWESOME getting to spend some time together, and then to join family and celebrate!!  

After graduation, I came home for a week and had a good time!  I spent a lot of time helping my parents with a garage sale, and with things around the house...  I also got to see Les Miserables (on stage!) twice!  I loved it!!  

Brian's mom came back to Virginia with me- it was great having company for the trip back & having her visit!  It was a relaxing time :-)

I am really looking forward to my friend Meredith coming next week.  Having her close-by is something I miss like crazy living here in VA!  We are going to go to the beach and sit by the pool and go to Chick-Fil-A...  We are also:

GOING TO RUN A 5K!!!  Mere has been a runner on & off for as long as I have known her, but I have only ever really run when I had to in gym class.  Brian's whole family has gotten into running, and all of them have been in a race.  I just didn't want to be the only Dahl who hadn't!  Plus!  I really want a 5K t-shirt.

So, for the last few weeks, I've been training for that.  I have improved a lot, but I am not quite ready for the race.  Thankfully, I have some time still to get there!  

I have to admit that running isn't something that comes naturally (or very easily) to me.  But I had a really great run this past Saturday, and the feeling when I was done was awesome!!  I had never gone that far in my life, and I had never before had a long run where I didn't have to stop and walk for a stretch.

Now that we are fully into spring here (which feels a lot like Rochester summer), I am trying to come up with some meal plans that use the oven less.  I think my husband & I will be having more salads, but I am looking for other options too.  Anyone have any good summer recipes?  ...  We do have a community grill we can use in our complex.  We've only used it once, and didn't have a great experience (we couldn't get it to get hot enough), but we hope to try again.

I think that is about it for now?  I hope to have more updates soon :-)

Love,

KT



No comments:

Post a Comment