Thursday, March 28, 2013

Libertarianism & Same-Sex Marriage

So.  I tend to usually keep my politics pretty quiet.  Other than with my closest friends/family, I don't typically get really fired up about my political views.  For a couple reasons:

1.  Most of the time?  It makes me crazy when people are over-the-top vocal about their political opinions.

2.  My stance is not necessarily very popular within my circle of friends & acquaintances...  I am not embarrassed by my politics.  But I also don't want to get in unnecessary disagreements with people.

If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. - Romans 12:18

But, the last few days, I've been getting really agitated over this whole same-sex marriage thing.  And for the first time?  I feel like writing about my views.

I am a Christian Libertarian...  In short, a Libertarian believes that there should be a very limited government.  We go back to the Declaration of our Independence...  We hold these truths to be SELF EVIDENT, that all men [and women] are created equal.  That they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that are among these: life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness.

I believe it is not the government's job to withhold rights from it's citizens.  It is the government's job to UPHOLD our rights; it's role should end there.

A Christian Libertarian is slightly different from a "regular" one...  To me?  The biggest difference is in our stance on abortion.  Traditionally, Libertarians believe in protecting the right for women to choose abortion.  A Christian Libertarian believes the government should protect an unborn baby's right to life.

So, let's look at this example of how a Christian Libertarian might think:

John Smith is a Christian.  He believes marijuana is bad for you, and using it does not honor God.  His abstaining from smoking is an act of worship.  And if he has a friend who smokes?  He might share the truth in love, and encourage them to quit.

John Smith is also a Libertarian...  He believes the separation of church and state is good & essential.  God says that gossip is bad.  But the government has no business telling people they can't gossip.  The same is true for smoking pot.  So long as someone else's marijuana use does not infringe in his rights, it is the not government's job to tell people they can't.

Which brings us to the real catalyst of this post:

Same-sex marriage.

First, it is important to me to say:

1.  I believe Jesus loves gay people.

2.  I love gay people.

3.  I believe that the church has not always handled things with our homosexual brothers & sisters very well.

4.  I also believe that some, not all, gay people have treated Christians badly.  I have personally felt judged by a gay person for being a Christian.

I don't really want to go into my religious beliefs on this topic.  What I believe God says about homosexuality is beside the point.  This post isn't about whether or not homosexuality is good or bad.

It is about what role the government plays in same-sex marriage.

When it comes to this whole Supreme Court thing??  It's not that I believe same-sex marriage should be legal or illegal...  I believe that the government should not be in charge of marriage.  Period.

-The government should not be able to say that marriage should just be between a man & a women.
-The government should protect the rights of same-sex couples; they should not be denied spousal rights.

But.

-I also believe that it is not the government's job to say: everyone must be pro same-sex marriage.
-The government should not force pastors to marry same-sex couples.



You might disagree with me.  And that is okay.  Again, it is your right as an citizen of the United States to have whatever political views you want.

But my view??

Dear Government,

Instead of spending all this time on same-sex marriage, how about you come up with a plan to stop spending all your citizen's money.

Love,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment