Thursday, December 27, 2012

Red Wine.

I am not a drinker.  I don't have anything against it, or people who do it responsibly.  It's just not something I've ever been into.

But, since I've started cooking more, I've found a lot of recipes call for some kind of alcohol in them.  I know wine and other adult beverages can add a lot of great flavor to things, and decided that I was ready to jump in to cooking with them.

Today when I was meal planning, a recipe I wanted to use called for red wine, so I added it to my grocery list without thinking much of it.  This would be easy, right???

So, I got to the store and when I hit the wine section.

Do you know how many kinds of wine there are!?!?

So, feeling completely overwhelmed, I did the only thing I knew to do...  I called my daddy.

Honestly.  My dad is the best cook I know, so I knew he would be able to help.  And after a 10 minute over-phone wine lesson, I had one picked out.

Then I get to the checkout and buy all my groceries.

It isn't until the drive home that I realize the clerk did not card me.

First, I wondered if somehow the wine never made it to the checkout.  But then I got home and it was right there.

Then I wondered...  Am I so old that she felt carding me was unnecessary!?  I have been noticing more grey hair.  And I have this stupid pesky wrinkle on my forehead.  And I am turning 30 this coming year...  AM I OLD!?!?

In my panic, I (again) did the only thing I knew to do...  I texted my best friend.  I explained the situation, and asked the very dangerous question am I so old that I don't need to be carded?

She responded that I am not old.  That the store was irresponsible.  She is the best of best friends.

I felt very very relieved.

And then I felt guilty because I was more glad about not being old, than I was concerned about a local grocery store potentially selling to underage kids.

3 comments:

  1. Many good recipes call for a specific kind of wine (like chardonnay or Cabernet), but this makes them hard to cook if you don't have them on hand. As you know, I keep a box of red wine and a box of white wine in the garage fridge) for cooking. It doesn't make any difference in most recipes and is always there for cooking. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem. I don't mind a glass of wine once in awhile, but if I open a bottle for cooking it inevitably sits in the fridge until either Eric or I throw it out. However, I recently learned that some wine companies are starting to sell four packs of small wine bottles. Perfect for keeping in the pantry to use when you only need a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Riz! I saw the little bottles when I was shopping! I think that is what I'll get next time I need some :-)

    ReplyDelete