Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Giver

I don't remember what year in school I read the book The Giver; I think it was either very late elementary or maybe Junior High?  But, since then, it has become one of my favorite books.

In general, I am a fan of that style of story- young adults, living in some sort of dystopian world.  I've read quite a number of books that fit into that genre, but The Giver is probably my favorite.

It's the story of a boy, Jonas, who lives in what appears to be an ideal world.  There is peace, everyone's needs are met.  All seems well...  But as you read, you start to learn that in order to achieve this world, its people have given up so much; color, feelings, memories of the past...  Jonas is selected to become the Receiver of Memories, and the Giver shows him all his world has left behind.

I've found people either loved this book, or hated it.

As I was talking with a friend a few months ago, the Giver came up; she liked it too!  She asked me if I'd read any of the follow-up books the author, Lois Lowry, had written.  I didn't even know there were other books that went along with it!!

I went to the bookstore, and sure enough!  There were 2 more books- Gathering Blue & Messenger!!

AND THEN!

As I was heading for the check-out I noticed an end cap, featuring a brand-new 4th book that concludes the series!!  It's called Son!

I've since finished up all the books.  The Giver is still my favorite, but the other 3 are great too!!!

Anyone else enjoy this book??

What books from school have become favorites of yours???

2 comments:

  1. I think it was maybe 8th grade? But I had forgotten all about that book! I liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Jane Eyre
    2. This is how we have cooked steak for forever. Didn't you pay attention?
    3. Oxyclean or vinegar in the rinse cycle.
    4. Cookies are always good b/c they are portable.
    5. i love you both!

    ReplyDelete