Saturday, December 29, 2012

Les Miserables: the Movie

If I knew how to do photoshop-y things, I would make a picture that has the classic Les Mis Cosette on it, wearing hipster glasses.  And it would say: I heard the people sing before it was cool...  But.  I don't know how to do that, so you have to use your imagination.  Unless Carl knows how to make one.

I have loved Les Miserables since I was in 7th grade... which was basically 17 years ago...  And by loved, I mean have been kind of obsessed.  It is with a mix of pride and embarrassment I share these facts:

1.  My first email address was Eponine83@aol.com.
2.  I once dressed up as Eponine for Halloween (yes, I had to explain to EVERYONE who I was... no one guessed, can you believe that?)
3.  I made my mother wait outside a theater so that I could meet Colm Wilkinson (who is the original and definitive Jean Val Jean).  And I am still a little crushed that he didn't come out.
4.  Yes.  I was that girl who wore her Les Mis t-shirt a little too often in 8th grade.

My obsession has gotten a little more under control as I've gotten older...  But.  It started to come back a bit, once things began heating up for the movie.

My husband & I (along with our families, and my buddy Mere) went to see it opening night.  I know you are all dying to hear my thoughts and impressions of the movie; don't worry!  I am about to oblige :-)

First, let's talk acting.  When I heard the cast ahead of time, I was pretty thrilled; it seemed like they nailed many of the parts.  And for the most part, the cast did not disappoint!!

1.  Hugh Jackman.  Basically seemed to be born to play the part of Jean Val Jean; I had really high expectations.  I thought he looked and acted the part super-duper really well!! ... But, honestly, I was a little disappointed in his singing.  Again, this probably has something to do with the fact that he wasn't Colm Wilkinson.  To me, no one can compare to his Jean Val Jean.

2.  Speaking of Colm Wilkinson...  One of my favorite things about the movie is that they got him to play the Bishop.  PERFECTION.  I was so excited when I heard that he was doing it, and I completely geeked out during that part of the movie.  Uh.  I clapped.  In a packed movie theater.  All by myself.  Want to see him playing JVJ?  Check out the 10th Anniversary Concert!

3.  Anne Hathaway as Fantine...  MAN ALIVE!!!  I loved her.  Loved her.  Even non-Les Mis fans can't deny that she gave a great performance   She totally deserves her Golden Globe nomination.  Here's hoping for an Oscar!!  My favorite Fantine ever!

4.  Ooooooh Russel Crowe...  So.  I was not thrilled by this pick for Javert.  And when I saw some clips, I became even less thrilled.  My poor husband had to hear me lament (several times) that Russel Crowe was going to ruin the movie...  I won't say that he was great, or that he did the part justice.  But he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.

5.  Jean Val Jean is my favorite character, but Eponine runs a close second.  Samantha Barks was terrific.  It helped that she played her on stage (and in the 25th anniversary concert!).  She had the voice and I loved her!

6.  Eddie Redmayne has maybe made me change my mind about one of my least favorite characters- Marius.  I'm not sure why I haven't like him that much in the past, but I loved him in the movie.  Usually, Empty Chairs & Empty Tables is at the bottom of my "favorite parts" list (usually my butt has gotten pretty numb by the time it rolls around).  But it was one of the BEST parts of the movie!!

7.  The rest of the cast was fine.  Nothing super awesome, nothing super bad :-)

... Moving on...

Admittedly, I have not seen Les Miserables on stage since they re-did it.  I can only compare the movie with the turn-table, folding baracade, version...  In May I get to see the re-staged version!!!...  But, for now, my reference is the old one ;-)

There were quite a few differences.  Ahead of time, I thought I would be upset if they made a lot of changes, but in the end?  I thought they really worked.  Some stuff was in a different order, they took out some dialog/parts of songs, some plot stuff...  But.  I think they were good changes.

I thought doing I Dreamed a Dream after Lovely Ladies really added some emotion behind the song.  It wasn't just about a girl with a broken heart any more.

I loved the way they did Do You Hear the People Sing at General Lemarc's funeral.  So powerful!!

I also loved the way the finale came together.  That is one of the best parts of the show, and I thought they hit the nail on the head!  Not to mention I was thrilled that they included Colm again!!

I was glad they didn't do the full songs for Dog Eats the Dog or Turning (though I wonder if those are cut short in the new stage show too).

I think the movie did a better job than the stage show does of showing how abandoned the student rebels are.  On stage, I never really got how they were sure the people of Paris would rise up with them, and how very wrong they were.

Also.  I was excited how they made Enjolras' death reminiscent of the way it looks on stage.  Hanging upside-down, with the red flag.  That is one of the most striking parts of the show & it was neat to see how they nodded to that.

Some things I didn't totally love:

I was disappointed by One Day More...  There is just no good way to show that on screen.  It is so much cooler when basically the full cast can be on stage at one time for that song.  It lost some of its power without that.

There are several... unsavory... parts in the show.  And I was a little concerned about how graphic they would make the movie.  For the most part?  I thought they did it fairly tastefully...  There is just one part.  With Santa.  If you saw the movie, you know what I mean.  It just didn't add anything to the movie at all.  I think they only put it in their because it was a Christmas release.  Not a fan.

As much as I loved the finale, I was a little sad they didn't include Eponine's spirit with Fantines.  I get why they did it.  And most people probably would think Eponine didn't fit there very well...  But.  I love that she is included in the show.  I missed how Fantine & Eponine harmonize there.

For me, the verdict is still out on the new song Suddenly.  I just don't know it like the rest of the movie.  I am sure it will grow on me.  It certainly helped develop the relationship between Val Jean and Cosette :-)

Overall??  It was great.  I wanted to stay for the next showing, but it wasn't until 10:30 and my husband had to drive us back to Virginia the next day...  Hopefully we'll see it again in the next few days.  I might have more impressions! ;-)

One of the greatest things about the movie???  I got to see it with a whole bunch of loved ones.  My mom & Carl, my dad, Brian's parents & sister Amy, and my best friend all saw it with us.  And.  I know some of them saw it, just because it means so much to me (not because they are Les Mis fans).  It was so special to have them there, and be able to share it with them.

Can't wait to go see the show in Rochester in May.  My mom & I are going, and she is my favorite Les Mis buddy.  We're gonna have such a great time!!

So.  Did you make all the way through this post??  If you did, you 25 brownie points.  Once you reach 500 brownie points, I might actually make you brownies.  So, you are well on your way to some delicious treats.

Also.  If you made it through this post, you might also be a Les Mis fan...  If you saw the movie, let me know what you thought!!


No comments:

Post a Comment