Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SPCA

So, when Brian & I got married, we expected that we would have a few months together in Virginia Beach.  And then in March, his boat was scheduled to go on a 6 month deployment, and I would be heading back to Rochester.

If there is one thing I've learned about the Navy it is that the only thing you can count on is change.

So... the plans changed... And now Brian's boat is going to be at home until the summer.  And a long deployment likely won't happen until Brian's commitment to the Montpelier is up!  That means that we will be here in Virginia TOGETHER for the next year or so :-)

Knowing that I won't be living in Rochester this spring & summer means that it really was time to find some things to do with my time here.

I've a little bit been looking for a job.  But truthfully, I am enjoying the freedom unemployment brings.  And I want to make sure that I can keep up with things at home- I love cooking for my husband & making his life easier by keeping the apartment clean and the laundry done :-)

So, I started looking for some places to volunteer...  I narrowed it down to a couple things- the Virginia Aquarium & the Virginia Beach SPCA.  I am still waiting to hear from the aquarium (but my application has been processed & I've been approved- I just haven't started yet!)

But!  Last week I went to orientation at the SPCA & then I finished up my training over the weekend!  So now I am officially a volunteer!!  I got a tshirt and everything!!

Right now I just get to go and hang out with the dogs & cats.  I get to play with the puppies and walk the dogs.  I get to pet the kitties and cuddle with them.  The SPCA calls it "socializing" the animals.  But I call it having fun!

Once I've gotten a few weeks of "socializing" under my belt, there are a few different things I'll be able to do.  I am looking forward to:

1.  Becoming a part of the behavior modification team...  They use positive reinforcement to teach dogs good behavior.  It helps them become more adoptable.  Because a dog is more likely to find a family if it isn't jumping up all over them & knows how to obey commands.

2.  Joining the Listening Ears! ...  It is a literacy program here in Virginia Beach; it won an award for it's effectiveness this past year!  Volunteers pick up a dog from the shelter, and take it to a local school.  Then students who struggle with reading come in one at a time.  They spend about 20 minutes reading aloud to the dog!  ...  It is effective because dogs don't correct or judge.  Students aren't nervous about making mistakes.  They just get good practice in!

I've been enjoying my time there this week, and am excited to have a new thing to do!!  Hopefully I'll have fun stuff to share with you from my experiences there!

Want to learn more about the Virginia Beach SPCA??  Check out their website!

1 comment:

  1. How many kittens and puppies will magically appear in your closet? Here or in Virginia Beach? love you.

    ReplyDelete